Accessibility Options Printer friendly Email us Contact us

Education Maintenance Allowances 2012-13, 27/03/14 [S]

Scotland's Chief Statistician has published statistics on Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) in the academic year 2012-13.

Key findings include:

  • 35,515 school pupils and college students received EMA payments in Scotland in the academic year 2012-13, an increase of 3.3% (1,125) from 34,390 in 2011-12.
  • School pupils account for 66% of young people in receipt of EMA payment, with the remaining 34% being college students. Of all the school pupils aged 16-19 years old in Scotland, 34% (23,335) received an EMA payment in 2012-13.
  • Of the EMA recipients whose deprivation classification was known, 26% (9,085) lived within Scotlandís 15 per cent most deprived areas.
  • The total spend on EMAs in 2012-13 was £27.8 million, an increase of £0.2 million from £27.6 million in 2011-12. Of this, £19.5 million (70%) was paid out to school pupils, and the remaining £8.3 million (30%) was paid out to young people attending college.

For full details see the Scottish Government website.

Further Information

Education Maintenance Allowances 2012-13

Scottish Government news release